Did you know?
- Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing 10% or 18 days can make it hard to learn to read.
- Students can fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
- Being late may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
What you can do—
- Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and backpacks the night before.
- Find out start of school and get shots before then.
- Introduce your child to teachers/staff.
- Don’t let your child stay home unless she is truly sick.
- Develop back-up plans for ways to school if something comes up.
- Avoid medical appointments and vacations during school time.
Check out “Bringing Attendance Home: Parent Video” by Rachel Auerbach on Vimeo.
The video is available for your viewing pleasure at https://vimeo.com/101425388